POULTNEY, Vt. – Saint Joseph's College won both the men's and women's races at the Green Mountain College Invitational on Saturday. The men posted 44 points and the women registered 36 to post the first SJC sweep since both teams won the NCAA Independents Meet on October 29th, 2005.
THE RUNDOWN – WOMEN:
Saint Joseph's placed all seven scorers in the top 14, including four in the top 10, to edge out SUNY-Delhi by two points in the women's 5K race. Sophomore Lauren Fisher (Hampton Falls, N.H.) finished third with a 20:09 time, senior Sarah Curtin (Strafford, N.H.) was fifth with a 20:16 performance, and senior Lauren Lecompte (Lewiston, Maine) placed seventh with a 20:22 effort.
SUNY-Delhi tallied 38 points, Castleton University was third (88), Cobleskill placed fourth (125), and Green Mountain finished fifth (125) while Maine Maritime (145), NVU-Johnson (187), and MCLA (192) rounded out the field of eight teams in the event.
Castleton junior Kaylyn Crompton won the event individually with a 19:50 time.
FOR THE MONKS:
- Freshman Emma Allen (Jefferson, Maine) placed 10th (21:02)
- Freshman Naomi Ingham (Alton, N.H.) was 11th (21:21)
- First-year Alirose Beauregard (Dover, N.H.) finished 14th (21:25)
- Freshman Julia Heroux (Albion, R.I.) was 16th (21:45)
THE RUNDOWN – MEN:
The Monks placed three runners – all freshmen - in the top five, as Troy Hendricks (Hiram, Maine) finished second (27:39), Jacob Huberdeau (Plaistow, N.H.) was fourth (27:56), and Michael Brooks (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) placed fifth (28:06) en route to edging Castleton University by two points in the final team standings.
Cobleskill placed third with 50 points, MCLA was fourth (132), Maine Maritime finished fifth (136), Green Mountain was sixth (149), and NVU-Johnson rounded out the seven-team field with 179 points.
Cobleskill freshman Dillon VanDemortal won the 8K race with a 25:51 time.
FOR THE MONKS:
- Junior Ben Plante (Biddeford, Maine) finished 16th (30:07)
- Sophomore Brandon Whitlock (Westbrook, Maine) was 20th (30:32)
- Sophomore Michael Mason (East Bridgewater, Mass.) placed 24th (31:20)
- Sophomore Connor Rice (Old Orchard Beach, Maine) was 25th (31:20)
The Monks are off until Saturday, October 27th when the teams host the 2018 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Championships. The women's race starts at 1:00 PM and the men's event kicks off at 2:00 PM.