STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (4-10, 2-3 GNAC) split a tri-match with Emmanuel College (7-5, 4-0 GNAC) and Husson University (1-11) at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday. The Monks opened with a 3-0 (25-22, 25-15, 25-12) loss to the Saints and salvaged a split with a 3-1 (25-15, 22-25, 25-18, 25-21) triumph over the Eagles.
In the middle match, Emmanuel blanked Husson with 25-15, 25-14, and 25-15 set victories.
EMMANUEL 3, SAINT JOSEPH'S 0:
The Monks trailed 22-15 late in the first set and mounted a 5-1 rally to jump back into contention, but the Saints recovered to take the 1-0 lead. In the second set, Emmanuel jumped out to an 8-0 lead and stayed on top by at least six points en route to a 25-15 win and 2-0 advantage. The Saints closed out the victory with the help of a .429 attack percentage – on 12 kills and three errors in 21 attempts – to claim the 25-21 win and three-set triumph.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Junior Kelsey Bickford (Somersworth, N.H.) tallied nine kills and nine digs
- Senior Jennelle Thompson (Rochester, N.H.) added 11 digs
- Sophomore Erin Olson (Stoughton, Mass.) posted five solo blocks
LEADERS – EMMANUEL:
- Junior Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) registered nine kills and eight digs
- Senior Carly Church (Higganum, Conn.) contributed three kills, 24 assists, and seven digs
- Senior Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla.) chipped in with eight kills and four service aces
- Senior Katharine Journeay (Hampton, N.H.) recorded a match-high 20 digs
SAINT JOSEPH'S 3, HUSSON 1:
The Monks managed to bring a three-match losing streak to an end with a convincing four-set win over Husson. Six different SJC players notched at least four kills as the Monks rebounded from a sluggish first match with their highest attack percentage (.182) in two weeks and third best rate overall this season.
The four-set match featured 27 tie scores and 14 lead changes.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Bickford posted a match-high 16 kills with three aces and seven digs
- Senior Sarah Dyer (Seabrook, N.H.) had an impressive match with seven kills, 27 assists, and nine digs
- Sophomore Madison Provencher (Rochester, N.H.) added 30 digs
- Freshman Olivia Kent (Ellington, Conn.) tallied eight kills, five service aces, and eight digs
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Sophomore Kayli Doten (Calais, Maine) paced the Eagles with 10 kills
- Junior Hanna Hembrow (Milford, N.H.) produced three aces, 28 assists and 16 digs
- Freshman Caelyn Shell (Scarborough, Maine) contributed eight kills
Saint Joseph's will host Sage College tomorrow at 2:00 PM.