SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO – John Carroll University (3-0) defeated Saint Joseph's College (0-1), 17-8, in a non-conference women's lacrosse contest during the Monks' spring trip to Puerto Rico on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Playing in their first game of the season, the Monks showed some rust early and faced a 5-0 deficit before senior Kayla Kelly (York, Maine) netted an unassisted goal at the 13:51 mark of the first half. Kelly hit pay-dirt two more times and sophomore Lydia Dexter (Oakland, Maine) scored off a Logan Champlin (Alfred, Maine) feed to make it an 11-4 contest heading into halftime.
The Blue Streaks opened the second stanza with five straight goals to claim a 16-4 cushion before the Monks capped the game on a 4-1 run to account for the 17-8 final.
John Carroll held advantages in shots (40-19), ground balls (19-11), and draw controls (21-7) and was 12-for-12 on clearing chances in the win. The Monks cleared their defensive end at a 50% (12-24) rate.
John Carroll starter Elyssa Zablo made four saves in 41:24 of action while Kaleigh Kotula notched three stops in 18:36 of relief.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Kelly scored three goals with three ground balls and a pair of caused turnovers
- Sophomore Josie Ring (Newfield, Maine) added a goal and two assists
- Dexter tallied two goals, two ground balls, and three caused turnovers
- Junior Maddy Beaulieu (West Gardiner, Maine) scored two goals
LEADERS – JOHN CARROLL:
- Brooke McQuinn scored four goals with an assist and 12 draw controls
- Alex Heishman tallied three goals and an assist with four ground balls and three caused turnovers
- Alexis Guage chipped in with two goals and two assists
Saint Joseph's will wrap up the Puerto Rico trip Friday with a 9:00 AM contest versus Wentworth Institute.