NASHUA, N.H. – Saint Joseph's College (11-3, 7-2 GNAC) cruised past Rivier University (3-9, 3-7 GNAC), 17-4, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's lacrosse contest on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Rivier held a 2-0 lead five minutes into the game before Saint Joseph's rattled off 16 unanswered goals, the last of which being a Kayla Kelly (York, Maine) strike with 10:17 remaining in the second half.
The Monks owned a 10-2 lead at halftime and forced the running-clock rule when freshman Josie Ring (Newfield, Maine) netted free-position goal to lift the Royal Blue to a 12-2 cushion with 26:50 left in the second stanza.
Saint Joseph's sophomore goalie Kaylin Mansir (West Gardiner, Maine) made three saves in the victory while Rivier junior Courtney Laperriere (Keene, N.H.) tallied 17 stops in a losing bid.
The Monks posted advantages in shots (41-11), ground balls (24-20), draw controls (14-9), and caused turnovers (12-2) in the conference win.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
· Kayla Kelly scored five goals with three ground balls, three draw controls, and two caused turnovers
· Senior Elyse Caiazzo (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) registered three goals and an assist along with seven draw controls, three ground balls, and three caused turnovers
· Junior Kara Kelly (York, Maine) netted two goals with two assists, five ground balls, and three caused turnovers
· Freshman Emily Ryan (Wakefield, Mass.) chipped in with two goals and a pair of assists
· Junior Brittney Arsenault (Westbrook, Maine) scored twice with an assist, three ground balls, three draw controls, and a pair of caused turnovers
· Ring contributed two goals and an assist with two ground balls
LEADERS – RIVIER:
· Sophomore Dzenana Omerovic (Revere, Mass.) scored two goals with two draw controls
· Junior Marin Owens (Brookline, N.H.) added a goal and two assists with two ground balls and five draw controls
With the victory, Saint Joseph's is now 8-2 all-time versus Rivier University and has defeated the Raiders in seven-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2013 season.
Saint Joseph's travels to Lasell College Tuesday for a GNAC contest starting at 4:00 PM.