PROVIDENCE, R.I. - #10/11 Saint Joseph's College (21-0, 9-0 GNAC) toppled Johnson & Wales University (4-17, 3-5 GNAC), 85-59, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's basketball contest on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Leading 13-7 with 3:48 left in the first quarter, the Monks rattled off 14 unanswered points as a Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) three-pointer launched the visitors to a 27-9 advantage heading into the second stanza.
The early deficit proved too much to overcome for the Wildcats, as the Monks extended their cushion to 49-26 at the break and went on to claim a game-high 35-point (77-42) lead after senior guard Julia Champagne (Brunswick, Maine) made a free throw with 6:53 left in the fourth frame.
STATS OF THE GAME:
St. Joe's scored 24 points off 18 JWU turnovers and committed just 11 miscues in the victory…The Monks made 10 three-pointers compared to four trifectas made by the Wildcats and held a 17-9 lead in free throws made.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- McNamara netted 20 points with five assists, two rebounds, and a pair of steals
- Champagne also scored 20 points with four boards and two assists
- Senior guard Hannah Marks (Waldoboro, Maine) added 19 points, four caroms, and two steals
- Senior forward Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) contributed 13 points, eight rebounds (five offensive), and four assists
- Freshman Page Brown (Boothbay, Maine) scored four points in four minutes off the bench
LEADERS – JOHNSON & WALES:
- Freshman Dede Stevenson (Hartford, Conn.) tied a career-high with 30 points and added eight rebounds, two assists, and three steals
- Senior Ally Mishol (Longmeadow, Mass.) registered a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds
Saint Joseph's is now 10-5 all-time versus Johnson & Wales University and has now defeated the Wildcats in five-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2015-16 season. The winning margin is the largest posted by the Monks since SJC defeated JWU by 36 (85-49) on January 21st, 2012.
Saint Joseph's will host Emmanuel College in a battle of unbeaten GNAC teams on Tuesday at 6:00 PM.