PAXTON, Mass. - #11/12 Saint Joseph's College (17-0, 5-0 GNAC) topped Anna Maria College (5-13, 2-3 GNAC), 75-62, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's basketball action on Saturday afternoon. The victory extends the Monks' regular-season winning streak versus GNAC opponents to 23 games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph's shot 56.3% (9-16) with a 53.8% (7-13) clip from three-point distance in the first quarter and senior guard Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) scored 12 points in the first 10 minutes to lift the Monks to a 26-13 advantage heading into the second quarter.
Leading 32-16 with 8:17 remaining in the second stanza, St. Joe's outscored Anna Maria by a 17-9 margin and went into halftime with a 24-point (49-25) cushion. The Monks were 10-10 from the free throw line in the second quarter with McNamara making all eight of her attempts from the stripe.
Saint Joseph's proceeded to claim a game-high 32-point (57-25) after sophomore guard Jordan Jabar (Waterville, Maine) converted a layup with 5:26 left in the third quarter.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Monks posted leads in rebounds (35-25), second-chance points (16-2), three-point field goals (12-3), and points in the paint (28-16) in the triumph…the AMCATS posted a 48.9% (23-47) shooting percentage compared to a 42.6% (26-61) effort by the Monks.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- McNamara led all scorers with 25 points and added nine assists, three rebounds, and two steals
- Senior forward Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) notched a double-double with 14 points and 12 boards and was 7-for-8 from the field
- Senior guard Hannah Marks (Waldoboro, Maine) netted 15 points with five rebounds
- Freshman Kaleigh Walsh (Windham, N.H.) came off the bench to score five points
LEADERS – ANNA MARIA:
- Junior Sierra Johnson (Brockton, Mass.) was 9-for-12 from the field with 20 points
- Sophomore Amber Wilson (New York, N.Y.) added 13 points, five rebounds, three assists, two steals, and a pair of blocks
- Junior Sienna Johnson (Brockton, Mass.) came off the bench to score 21 points with three boards
With the victory, Saint Joseph's improves to 10-0 in the history of the series with Anna Maria College.
Saint Joseph's, in the midst of a 10-game stretch versus GNAC opponents, will play at Simmons College in conference action on Thursday at 7:00 PM.