STANDISH, Maine - #10/14 Saint Joseph's College (15-0, 3-0 GNAC) cruised past University of Saint Joseph (2-13, 0-3 GNAC), 71-39, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks dominated play from the very start and held a 24-2 advantage after freshman Page Brown (Boothbay, Maine) connected on a pair of free throws with 1:13 left in the first quarter.
Saint Joseph's held a 49-12 lead heading into intermission and attained a game-high 43-point cushion (65-22) after Brown made a layup off a Grace Philippon (Glenburn, Maine) pass with 22 seconds remaining in the third frame.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Monks posted sizeable leads in points in the paint (36-12) and bench points (36-11) and dealt 25 assists on 28 field goals in the victory.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Senior guard Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) scored 17 points with seven assists, two rebounds, and two steals in just 20 minutes and was 4-7 from beyond the arc
- Junior Lexi L'Heureux-Carland (Bridgton, Maine) came off the bench to produce 10 points, seven boards, two assists, and a pair of steals in 13 minutes
- Brown finished the day with nine points and six rebounds
- Senior forward Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) added eight points and six caroms in 14 minutes on the floor
LEADERS – UNIVERSITY OF SAINT JOSEPH:
- Sophomore guard Shaniyah Williams (New Britain, Conn.) scored 11 points with seven rebounds and two assists
- Freshman guard Silvana Barcomb (Middletown, Conn.) added nine points and a pair of steals
- Freshman guard Cheyenne-Mone Smith (Wethersfield, Conn.) chipped in with seven points, eight rebounds, and three assists
With the win, Saint Joseph's is now 10-2 all-time versus University of Saint Joseph and has now defeated the Blue Jays in four-consecutive meetings.
Saint Joseph's will host GNAC rival Colby-Sawyer College on Tuesday in a 6:00 PM start.