LOS ANGELES, Calif. - #13/14 Saint Joseph's College (12-0) concluded a two-game west coast trip with a 69-50 victory at Occidental College (6-5) on Sunday afternoon.
The Monks, ranked 13th and 14th in the latest D3hoops.com and WBCA national polls, respectively, are off to the second-best start in program history. The 1998-99 team opened the season with 13-consecutive victories.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The game sat at a 17-17 stalemate with 5:17 left in the second quarter before the Monks registered a 13-4 run to collect a 30-21 lead.
The Tigers climbed back to within five points (30-25) with a second stanza buzzer beater jumper and a Madison Toy (San Francisco, Calif.) bucket 42 seconds into the third period, but Saint Joseph's broke the game open with a 15-4 run – capped by a Julia Champagne (Brunswick, Maine) three-pointer – en route to securing a 45-29 cushion with 4:14 left in the penultimate quarter.
St. Joe's went on to claim a game-high 27-point (67-40) advantage after sophomore guard Jordan Jabar (Waterville, Maine) hit a jump shot with 5:53 remaining.
STATS OF THE GAME:
Saint Joseph's shot 44.6% (25-56) from the field with a 57.9% (11-19) effort from three-point distance – Occidental countered by shooting 31.3% (20-64) and 15.0% (3-20) from the floor and downtown, respectively.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Senior guard Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) was 6-7 from three-point distance with 26 points, two rebounds, and a pair of steals
- Champagne was 5-6 from downtown and 7-10 from the floor overall en route to scoring 23 points with 13 rebounds and four assists
- Senior forward Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) added six points and 12 rebounds
LEADERS – OCCIDENTAL:
- Sophomore guard Alyssa Ramlochan (Los Angeles, Calif.) notched a double-double with 15 points and 11 caroms
- Sophomore guard Taylor Yoshida (Montebello, Calif.) was 5-7 from the field with 11 points and three assists
- Freshman guard Raveena Dhiman (San Jose, Calif.) came off the bench to score 10 points
Today's victory is the Monks' first in three games versus Occidental. The Tigers tipped the Monks, 66-64, in the last meeting between the opposite coast foes on December 31st, 2014.
Saint Joseph's kicks off Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play with a game at Regis College on Tuesday, January 8th at 7:00 PM.