GM 1 - Saint Joseph's College 0; Emmanuel College, 2
GM 2 – Saint Joseph's College 3; Emmanuel College, 9
Emmanuel College Saints (20-12, 11-1 GNAC)
Saint Joseph's College Monks (10-17, 8-4 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2019
The Emmanuel College softball team registered a Great Northeast Athletic Conference sweep over Saint Joseph's College (ME) on Tuesday evening at Roberto Clemente Field. The Saints picked up a 2-0 win in Game 1 before coming from behind to notch a 9-3 victory in Game 2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After two scoreless innings, Emmanuel's Yuleska Ramirez Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) got things started for the Saints with a blast to right center in the third, putting the Saints on top 1-0. The home run was her seventh of the year which currently leads all players in the GNAC.
- Junior Kerry Sendrick (Medway, Mass.) extended the Saints' lead to 2-0 with an RBI triple down the right field line in the fourth.
- EC senior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) made it hold up tossing a complete-game one-hit gem, striking out seven en route to her second shutout win of the year to improve to 9-5 overall.
- Libby Pomerleau (Limerick, Maine) collected the lone Monks hit in the affair with a single in the first inning.
- The Monks struck first in the first when junior Madisyn Charest (Sidney, Maine) scored on a wild pitch, 1-0.
- After senior Melodie Bailey (Lebanon, Maine) drove in one run on a single down the left field line, junior Maizie Lee (Saco, Maine) tripled to drive in Bailey, extending the Monks' lead to 3-0.
- The Saints closed the gap, 3-1, in the bottom of the first with an RBI single to left field from senior Ashley Skey (Brookline, N.H.).
- Senior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) came on in relief to start the second and silenced the Saint Joseph's bats the remainder of the game, tossing six scoreless innings to give the hosts the chance to come back for the sweep.
- The Saints took the lead with five runs in the second inning to double the Monks up at 6-3. Junior Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.), Burgos, freshman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.) and Skey all collected RBI hits in the inning.
- Emmanuel added three more in the fifth to account for the 9-3 final as Ramirez-Tejeda doubled down the right field line to make it 7-3 before freshman catcher Avery Webb (Hollis, N.H.) connected on a two-RBI single up the middle.
- Burgos retired the side in order in the sixth and worked around a pair of Monks hits in the seventh by Makayla Cooper (Fryeburg, Maine) and Libby Pomerleau (Limerick, Maine) to earn the win and improve to 6-4 on the year.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Kieselback improves to 8-0 in the circle since March 31 and has not dropped a decision in GNAC division play all season.
- The sweep over the Monks marks just the second time in program history that Emmanuel has taken two from SJM, with the other sweep coming back in 2016.
- With the two victories, EC now has 20 wins on the year marking the fourth time in five seasons the team has reached 20 wins in a campaign.
- The Saints hit the road to take on Anna Maria College on Friday afternoon for a GNAC twinbill starting at 3:00 PM.
- Saint Joseph's is also back in action on Friday, travelling to West Hartford, Conn. to face the University of Saint Joseph (CT) at 3:00/5:00 PM.
COURTESY OF EMMANUEL COLLEGE SPORTS INFORMATION