STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (19-17, 15-9 GNAC) defeated Mount Ida College (15-24, 9-15 GNAC), 3-2, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) softball game at Richard W. Bailey Field on Tuesday afternoon. The game, which resumed today with the Monks ahead 1-0 going into the top of the third, was a continuation of a conference contest that started on Friday but was suspended due to heavy rain.
The Monks grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning on Friday, when sophomore second baseman Libby Pomerleau (Limerick, Maine) doubled and eventually stole home.
In the bottom of the third inning this afternoon junior right fielder Katie Chadbourne (Jaffrey, N.H.) led off with a single to center, stole second, and scored on a single off the bat of junior first baseman Melodie Bailey (Lebanon, Maine).
In the top of the fourth, the Mustangs loaded the bases with two out and received a clutch hit from freshman right fielder Madeleine Smith (San Diego, Calif.), who roped a double to left field to knock in two runs and knot the game at 2-2.
The Monks claimed a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the fifth, when Chadbourne singled, moved to second on when Meghan Elliott (Mendon, Mass.) walked, and got to third on a Bailey single before scoring on a Kaylee Burns (Saco, Maine) sac fly to left field.
The Mustangs had the tying run 60 feet away in the top of the sixth when freshman catcher Jill Skalski (Cranford, N.J.) led off with a double and swiped third, but SJC sophomore Kate Whitney (Jonesboro, Maine) induced a pair of harmless outs to escape unscathed.
IN THE CIRCLE:
- Whitney improved to 9-5 on the season after allowing two runs off four hits and a pair of walks with two K's in a complete-game effort
- Mount Ida freshman starter Carrigan Costello (Wolcott, Conn.) took the loss after yielding three runs off seven hits and four walks with three strikeouts over six frames
OFF THE BAT:
- Chadbourne went 2-4 with two runs and a stolen base
- Bailey was 2-3 with an RBI
- For Mount Ida, Skalski went 2-3 with a run and a double and Smith was 2-3 with a double and two RBI
With the win, Saint Joseph's has earned a first-round bye and will play the winner of tomorrow's #8 Lasell College/#5 Albertus Magnus College contest on Thursday at 3:00 PM at East Boston Memorial Park.
For Mount Ida, the loss signals the end of the 2018 season.