New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College softball dropped a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) games to Saint Joseph's of Maine on Sunday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex. The Monks defeated the Falcons in five innings, 9-1, in game one before sealing the sweep, 6-2.
FINAL SCORE (G1): Saint Joseph's of Maine 9 | Albertus Magnus 1 – 5 innings
FINAL SCORE (G2): Saint Joseph's of Maine 6 | Albertus Magnus 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (22-15, 15-9) | Saint Joseph's of Maine (18-17, 14-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Senior Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.) got things started for the Falcons driving in Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) off a double to center to give the visitors a one-run edge, but Saint Joseph's of Maine countered back with three runs in the bottom of the first, including a home-run from Libby Pomerleau, take a 3-1 lead.
Saint Joseph's of Maine continued to swing the bat scoring six-runs on six-hits and two Falcon errors to take an eight-run lead, 9-1, entering the top of the third.
Albertus threatened the Monks in the top of the fifth with runners on second and third, but solid defense and pitching from the hosts ended the game in five, 9-1.
After a scoreless first inning, Albertus Magnus broke the silence scoring two-runs on four-hits holding a 2-0 edge before the bottom of the third as the Monks cut the lead in half, 2-1, thanks to an RBI double from Maizie Lee.
Saint Joseph's of Maine remained in control pushing its lead to four, 6-2, after scoring five runs in the bottom of the fourth. Despite a few threats from the Falcons, the Monks secured the conference sweep, 6-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
Albertus Magnus: Megan Ferraro (L, 3-4) – 0.1 IP | 4 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 1 HR
Saint Joseph's of Maine: Kristal Smith (W, 8-9) – 5.0 IP | 6 H | 1 R | 1 BB | 5 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Esposito and senior Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.) registered a game-high two hits while Esposito recorded the Falcons' solo run of the game.
- Over 20 at bats, Albertus Magnus registered six hits, including an RBI from Wehder.
- Kalyee Burns led the Monks with a 3-for-3 performance at the plate behind two RBI and posted a run scored.
- Along with Burns, Melodie Bailey and Madeline Charest registered a team-best two RBI.
- Saint Joseph's of Maine finished the opener 12-of-24 at the plate with eight RBI, a walk and a strikeout.
On the Mound (G2):
Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (L, 8-4) - 5.0 IP | 12 H | 6 R | 6 ER | 1 BB | 2 SO
Saint Joseph's of Maine: Kate Whitney (W, 8-5) - 6.2 IP | 9 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 3 BB | 3 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Esposito and freshman Madison Murphy (Milford, Conn.) led the Falcons in game two with two hits each.
- Senior Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.) and Esposito recorded one of the Falcons' RBI.
- Albertus Magnus finished 9-of-29 with three walks and three strikeouts.
- Melodie Bailey posted a 3-for-4 showing for the Monks in game two as well as tallied two RBI and a run scored.
- Meghan Elliott drove in a team-best two runs for Saint Joseph's.
- The hosts posted 13 hits, including six RBI.
COURTESY OF ALBERTUS MAGNUS COLLEGE SPORTS INFORMATION