EAST BOSTON, Mass. – Suffolk University (25-7, 18-2 GNAC) swept a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader with Saint Joseph's College (14-16, 10-8 GNAC) on Tuesday evening. The Rams routed the Monks in the opener, 17-2, and completed the sweep with an 11-6 win in the nightcap.
The Monks were able to get on the board first as they scored a pair of runs on a Rams' error in the top of the first to grab a two-run edge.
It was all Suffolk from there though as they Rams scored multiple runs in the second, third and fourth frames to go ahead 17-2.
Suffolk's scoring started in the second stanza. With two outs and runners in the corner, Payton Sylvester doubled to right field to bring in McKenzie McGrath and advance Grace Boehler, who drew a base on balls, to third. Sydney Littlefield laid down a bunt up the first base line, which allowed Boehler to cross home before Payton Sylvester scored on a bobble by the Monks' first baseman to put the Rams in front. A second straight error by SJC let Littlefield score to make it a two-run game, 4-2, after two complete innings.
An inning later, the Rams added to the margin as Delaney Sylvester sent a ball over the fence for the first of two times on the afternoon. The senior catcher barreled a bomb to right field and brought Jaclyn Flint, who singled, in with her, before a sac fly from her sister, Payton, scored Ashley Zulla, who reached on a walk, to stretch Suffolk's lead to 7-2.
The Rams really did damage in the fourth, which featured Delaney Sylvester's second two-RBI dinger of the day and multiple runs on Monks miscues, that made it a 17-2 score.
- Ali Yamakaitis (7-3) picked up the victory in the circle thanks to a two-run, seven-hit, three-walk, five-strikeout afternoon.
- Kristal Smith started for St. Joe's and gave up 11 runs on 10 hits and five walks and sat down one hitter over the first 3.0 innings.
- In 1.0 inning of relief, Caitlyn King let up six runs off four hits.
- Delaney Sylvester's dingers paved the way at the plate. The Worcester, Massachusetts, product produced five RBI on three hits, two of which went over the fence, and scored twice.
- Payton Sylvester contributed a pair of hits, one double, brought in three runs and scored two.
- Frost and Flint each went 2-for-4 at the dish. Frost scored two runs and recorded on RBI, while Flint scored three times and plated a pair of runs.
- Junior shortstop Meghan Elliott (Mendon, Mass.) went 2-2 with a run scored
Suffolk fell behind early. The Monks scored once in the first before rattling off four runs in the fourth to put the Rams in a five-run hole.
The Rams began to make up ground in the home half of fourth. Devlin Frost's leadoff walk was followed by an error by the Monks' second baseman that put runners on first and second. Delaney Sylvester sent a single to center to push Jaclyn Flint to second and score Frost to put Suffolk on the scoreboard. Back-to-back RBI singles from McKenzie McGrath and Madison Eucalitto cut the deficit to two. Grace Boehler drew a walk to juice the bags and set up Payton Sylvester's grand slam heroics. St. Joe's Kristal Smith in to deal, but the fresh arm was no match for the rookie that blasted a shot to left center to clear the bases, flipping the switch and put the Rams ahead by two, 7-5.
SJC trimmed the margin back to one in the fifth, but not for long as Delaney Sylvester's solo shot opened the home half of the fifth to regain a two-run cushion for the hosts.
The Rams kept the Monks quiet in the sixth before adding three insurance runs to make it an 11-6 Suffolk score after six complete innings.
Payton Sylvester served up a three-up, three-down final frame to secure the win and series sweep for the Rams.
- Payton Sylvester came in to secure the win for the Rams. The relief winning effort featured one run on two hits, two walks with five strikeouts.
- Taylor Holmes started the game for Suffolk and allowed five runs on eight hits and two walks and fanned four hitters.
- After giving up the grand slam Smith suffered the setback. The twirler who went 2/3 in the fourth let up the go-ahead run on two hits.
- Kate Whitney (3.1 IP, 6 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 Ks) and Caitlyn King (2.0 IP, 4 R, 5 H, 2 Ks) also saw time on the rubber for SJC.
- At the plate, Payton Sylvester went 3-for-4 with a pair of extra base hits – double and homer – for four RBI and two runs scored.
- Delaney Sylvester contributed two runs, one jack, two RBI and one run.
- Frost had a 2-for-3 showing at the dish with one double, two runs and one RBI.
- Ashley Zulla completed the Rams' foursome with two hits with a 2-for-4 effort.
- Sophomore second baseman Libby Pomerleau (Limerick, Maine) was 2-4 with two runs, a double, a triple, and two RBI
- Elliott went 2-3 with an RBI
COURTESY OF SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION