STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (5-11, 1-3 GNAC) split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader with Norwich University (5-5, 3-3 GNAC) at Richard W. Bailey Field on Saturday afternoon. The Cadets took the opener, 6-2, and the Monks salvaged the split with a 10-1 mercy-rule win in the closing contest.
GAME ONE – Norwich 6, Saint Joseph's 2:
The conference counterparts scored two runs apiece in the first inning, as junior Naomi Rinaldo (Middlefield, Conn.) and junior Emily Oliver (Sagamore Hills, Ohio) registered RBI's for the Cadets and SJC sophomore Maizie Lee (Saco, Maine) plated a pair with a double to left field to tie the game 2-2.
Norwich grabbed a 4-2 lead in the top of the third, when Rinaldo scored on a squeeze play and Oliver scored on an Olivia Bussiere (Northfield, Vt.) single to center field.
The Cadets capped the game scoring a pair of unearned runs in the top of the fourth, when Reid scored on an error and Rinaldo doubled home senior Sarah Perry (New Bedford, Mass.).
IN THE CIRCLE:
· Sophomore starter Kate Whitney (Jonesboro, Maine) falls to 3-4 on the season after allowing six runs (four earned) on eight hits in five innings
· Sophomore Caitlyn King (Old Town, Maine) tossed two innings of scoreless relief, allowing two hits with a strikeout
· Oliver picked up the win after allowing two runs off seven hits and three walks in a complete-game effort
OFF THE BAT:
· Lee went 2-3 with two doubles and a pair of RBI
· Rinaldo was 2-3 with a run, a double, and two RBI
· Oliver and Bussiere both went 2-4 for the Cadets
GAME TWO – Saint Joseph's 10, Norwich 1:
The Monks came out swinging in the nightcap with 10 runs in the first three innings. Sophomore third baseman Kaylee Burns (Saco, Maine) knocked in a pair with a double off the left field wall in the top of the first and Meghan Elliott (Mendon, Mass.), Melodie Bailey (Lebanon, Maine), and Kristal Smith (Pittston, Maine) delivered RBI's as part of a five run second-inning.
St. Joe's tacked on two more runs in the third, when Lee notched an RBI single and Elliott scored on a passed ball.
The Cadets' lone run of the second contest came in the top of the fifth, when freshman Brittany Vandergroef (Lodi, N.J.) scored on a Jenna Sprague (Brookfield, Vt.) sac bunt.
IN THE CIRCLE:
· Smith improves to 2-5 after allowing a run off six hits with one punch-out over five strong innings
· Perry took the loss for the Cadets after yielding 10 runs (six earned) off eight hits and five walks in two innings
· Sprague came on in relief in the third inning and allowed two hits over two scoreless frames
OFF THE BAT:
· Charest went 3-3 with two runs scored
· Bailey was 2-2 with two runs, a double, and two RBI
· Lee added two hits, a run, a double, and two RBI in three at-bats
· Vandergroef was 1-1 with a double and a run scored
With the split, Saint Joseph's is now 20-6 in the history of the series with Norwich University.
Saint Joseph's will play at Simmons College in a GNAC doubleheader starting at 12:00 PM tomorrow.