BIDDEFORD, Maine – The Saint Joseph's College men's and women's cross country teams posted third place finishes in the University of New England Invitational on Saturday. The men posted 78 points in the 8K race while the women registered 59 points in the 5K event.
THE RUNDOWN – MEN:
With all five runners in the top eight individually, UNE won their annually hosted event with 20 points, well ahead of runner-up Wentworth Institute, which racked up 67 points. Nor'easters sophomore Jacob Hickey took home the individual championship after touring the course in 25:39 minutes, which was 1:10 faster than his teammate, Ben Wright, who finished second.
FOR THE MONKS:
- Freshman Troy Hendricks (Hiram, Maine) led Saint Joseph's with a 28:04 performance and placed seventh overall
- Freshman Jacob Huberdeau (Plaistow, N.H.) finished ninth overall with a 28:31 time
- First-year Michael Brooks (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) was 13th with a 28:57 effort
- Sophomore Brandon Whitlock (Westbrook, Maine) was the fourth SJC runner to cross the line and placed 20th overall with a 30:50 performance
- Sophomore Michael Mason (East Bridgewater, Mass.) toured the 8K course in 32:36 and was 29th overall
THE RUNDOWN – WOMEN:
The Nor'easters claimed the invitational title with the minimum number of points (15) after securing the top five positions in the 5K race, including junior Emily Wasina, who won the event with a 19:47 time.
FOR THE MONKS:
- Senior Sarah Curtin (Strafford, N.H.) paced the Monks and placed seventh overall with a 20:44 time
- Sophomore Lauren Fisher (Hampton Falls, N.H.) was the second SJC runner to cross the finish line and was 10th with a 20:49 effort
- Senior Lauren Lecompte (Lewiston, Maine) placed 11th with a 20:52 performance
- Freshman Emma Allen (Jefferson, Maine) finished 13th after touring the 5K course in 21:21
- Freshman Naomi Ingham (Alton, N.H.) rounded out the top five SJC runners with a 22:09 time and placed 18th overall
Saint Joseph's will compete in the UMass.-Dartmouth Invitational next Saturday.