Score: Emmanuel College - 0, Saint Joseph's College (ME.)- 6
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-6-6, 1-2-4 GNAC), Saint Joseph's College (11-0-1, 7-0-1 GNAC)
Location: Roberto Clemente Field – Boston, Mass.
Date: Saturday, October 11, 2017
The Lead: Saint Joseph's Trevor Lopes opened the scoring in the ninth minute of play to give his team and early lead and they continued to be dangerous in the attack for the remainder of the game. The final score read Monks 6, Saints 0 in tonight's Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Monks struck first 8:09 into the game when Lopes scored an unassisted goal with the ball on a poor clearance from the Saints.
- Less than five minutes after the initial goal by the Monks Brett Mattos received the ball inside the Saints box and laid off a short ball to Lopes who tallied his second of the night on a shot that found the far corner.
- The Saints tightened up for the remainder of the half and did not allow another goal despite being under immense pressure.
- The Monks rarely found themselves defending due to their efficient ball movement and extremely effective counter pressing in the first half. SJC outshot EC 10-0 in the first half.
- Saint Joseph's came out of the break firing, with two unassisted goals by Ryan Buonaiuto in the first five minutes of the half.
- Quinn Hewitt score in the 71st minute to make the score 5-0.
- Sean Baker scored with three minutes remaining in regulation to put the Monks up six nil.
- The Monks prevented the Saints from shooting again in the second stanza by dominating in possession.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Saint Joseph's outshot Emmanuel 17-0 on the evening.
- Emmanuel was beat in corner kicks 9-1.
- The Monks remain unbeaten overall and in conference play and are the only team left in the nation to not allow a goal on the season.
- The Monks are now 7-3-1 all-time against the Saints
- The Saints played two keepers, Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) ended the night with four saves while Colin Paleologopoulos (South Hadley, Mass.) ended the night with 5.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Saturday at noon when they play host to conference rival Mount Ida on Senior Day.
- Saint Joseph's College (ME) is back the same day traveling to Lasell College for a 12:00 PM kick off.
COURTESY OF EMMANUEL COLLEGE SPORTS INFORMATION
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.