WESTON, Mass. – Saint Joseph's College (8-2, 3-0 GNAC) toppled Regis College (2-4, 0-4 GNAC), 15-1, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's lacrosse contest on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The conference matchup stood at a 1-1 tie after SJC sophomore Zack Hamilton (Pepperell, Mass.) and Regis junior Brian Wagner (Melrose, Mass.) swapped scored in the opening three minutes, but the Monks took control from that point forward as the visitors held a 7-1 advantage heading into intermission and netted eight unanswered goals in the second half to account for the 15-1 final.
FOR THE RECORD:
With his first of six goals in today's victory, senior Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) broke the Monks' career points record as the four-year starter entered the game tied with former St. Joe's standout – and current assistant coach – Jonathan Horgan '12 with 178 points. Finn finished the contest with 150 goals (team record) and 35 assists for 185 total points in 60 career games. Horgan totaled 111 tallies and 67 assists in 50 career tilts.
Saint Joseph's sophomore Logan Skinner (Irving, Texas) turned away nine of the 10 shots he faced in the victory while his counterpart, Regis sophomore JJ LaRose (Litchfield, N.H.) made 11 saves in a losing effort.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Finn closed out the game with six goals on eight shots and added an assist with three ground balls
- Sophomore Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) tallied three goals and four assists
- Sophomore Tyler Brewster (Merrimack, N.H.) tacked on a goal with a pair of assists
- Sophomore Brendan Martin (Nashua, N.H.) scored a goal with an assist and two ground balls
- Hamilton potted a pair of goals
- Senior Daniel Cunningham (West Islip, N.Y.) added a pair of assists
LEADERS – REGIS:
- Wagner netted the Pride's lone goal
- Senior George Nicolopoulos (Windham, N.H.) picked up a game-high seven ground balls
- Sophomore Brendan Donahue (Lynn, Mass.) won 11 of 16 face-off attempts and added six ground balls
With the win, Saint Joseph's improves to 2-1 in the history of the series with Regis College.
Saint Joseph's will play at University of Southern Maine on Monday at 4:00 PM.