NASHUA, N.H. – Saint Joseph's College (7-2, 2-0 GNAC) defeated Rivier University (5-1, 0-1 GNAC), 13-7, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's lacrosse matchup on Wednesday evening. The victory extends the Monks' winning streak to six games, the longest in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks opened the contest with three unanswered goals and held a 6-2 lead after sophomore Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) scored off a Daniel Cunningham (West Islip, N.Y.) feed with 4:36 left in the first quarter.
The Raiders cut their deficit down to 6-3 with an early strike in the second stanza, but Saint Joseph's rattled off five-consecutive goals leading up to intermission and built an 11-3 cushion with the help of a man-up goal from Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) 26 seconds before the break.
A hard-fought second half ensued, as the high-scoring pace slowed to a crawl in the final two frames, which featured six goals combined by the conference counterparts. The Monks' defense withstood a late push – and a pair of man-down situations - by the Raiders to improve to 2-0 in GNAC play.
FOR THE RECORD:
Finn tied the program's career points record with four points in tonight's win. The four-year starter has tallied 178 points (144 goals, 34 assists) in 59 career games and ties former St. Joe's standout – and current assistant coach – Jonathan Horgan '12, who totaled 111 tallies and 67 assists in 50 career tilts.
Also, Saint Joseph's junior face-off midi Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) broke the Monks' single-game records for ground balls (18) and face-off wins (22) in tonight's triumph. The previous marks of 15 and 20, respectively, were originally held by Elliott LaMarre '11.
SJC sophomore Logan Skinner (Irving, Texas) made six saves on the evening while his counterpart, Rivier netminder Matt Cloutman, turned away 20 shots in the setback.
The Monks held considerable advantages in shots (50-26), shots on goal (33-13), ground balls (30-17) and caused turnovers (13-11) in the victory.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Senior Daniel Cunningham (West Islip, N.Y.) netted three goals with three assists
- Finn scored three goals and was credited with an assist
- Sophomore Zack Hamilton (Pepperell, Mass.) added two goals and an assist with three ground balls
- Sophomore Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) chipped in with a goal and four assists
- Senior Tyler Retalic (Framingham, Mass.) netted a goal with an assist and a pair of ground balls
- Sophomore Tyler Brewster (Merrimack, N.H.) scored twice on 10 shots
LEADERS – RIVIER:
- Dylan McSparren led the Raiders with four goals on six shots
- Eric Guinasso added a goal and an assist with five ground balls
With the win Saint Joseph's improves to 8-3 all-time versus Rivier University and has now defeated the Raiders in three-consecutive meetings, including an 11-10 overtime GNAC Quarterfinal triumph last spring.
Saint Joseph's resumes conference play Saturday with a game at Regis College. Opening face-off is set for 1:00 PM.