STANDISH, Maine – Senior Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) netted five goals and sophomore Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) dealt six assists to help Saint Joseph's College (1-1) topple Husson University (0-1), 17-3, in a non-conference men's lacrosse contest at the SJC Athletics Complex on Thursday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Finn scored five of the Monks' first eight goals as the hosts headed into intermission with a 10-0 lead. Sophomore Tyler Brewster (Merrimack, N.H.) hit pay dirt 3:08 into the third quarter to extend the hosts' lead to 15-0 before Husson got on the board with strikes from Adam Littlefield (Fairfield, Maine) and Zach Glazier (Winthrop, Maine) in a matter of 14 seconds late in the penultimate frame.
Saint Joseph's held the lead in shots (48-28), face offs (13-11) and fewest turnovers (22-29) in the victory.
The Monks split time in goal with sophomore Liam Skinner (Irving, Texas) stopping all five shots he faced in the first half and freshman Michael Janocha (Southampton, Mass.) turning away five attempts in the second stanza.
Husson senior Matt Martin (Litchfield, Maine) faced 27 shots and made 12 saves in 45 minutes while senior Nick Zavorotny (Concord, N.H.) allowed a pair of goals in the fourth quarter.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Finn tallied five goals and two assists on 12 shots, including 10 on goal
- Puleo was credited with six assists, three ground balls, and a pair of caused turnovers
- Senior Tyler Retalic (Framingham, Mass.) scored three goals
- Senior Daniel Cunningham (West Islip, N.Y.) netted a pair of goals with two assists
- Freshman Troy Battari (Nashua, N.H.) added three goals and an assist
- Junior Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) won 10 of 15 face-offs and picked up four ground balls
- Brewster chipped in with a goal and two assists
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Glazier scored twice with a pair of ground balls
- Littlefield added a goal and two ground balls
- Junior Blaine Miller (Bowdoinham, Maine) picked up three ground balls
Saint Joseph's is now 7-4 all-time versus Husson University and has defeated the Eagles in seven-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2013 season. The Monks' goal total and winning margin are both the highest in the history of the matchup.
Saint Joseph's will play a pair of games in Davenport, Florida next week, starting with a 1:00 PM game versus Moravian on Monday. The Monks will face Wentworth on Wednesday at 3:00 PM.