STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (6-7, 2-3 GNAC) toppled Regis (Mass.) (3-8, 1-4 GNAC), 22-3, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's lacrosse contest at the SJC Athletics Complex on Wednesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks netted eight unanswered goals – from eight different players - in the first quarter and held a 14-2 cushion heading into intermission. Junior Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) scored his third goal of the night as time expired in the third quarter, making it an 18-3 game, and Saint Joseph's scored four goals in the final frame to account for the 22-3 final.
Saint Joseph's held the lead in shots (45-22), ground balls (40-29), and face-off wins (20-8) and went 3-5 in man-up situations while clearing successfully on 11 of 12 attempts. Regis (Mass.) was 0-5 in man-up situations and cleared on 10 of 13 tries.
Saint Joseph's played three goalies in the triumph, as senior Connor Trainor (Franklin, Mass.) made six saves in 45 minutes, senior Wyatt Porter (Pittsfield, Mass.) posted three stops in 10:20 minutes, and sophomore Zachary Remillard (Manchester, N.H.) added a pair of stops in the closing 4:40 between the pipes.
For the Pride, freshman Nick Penta (Andover, Mass.) made six saves in 27:09 minutes and first-year JJ Larose (Litchfield, N.H.) posted one save in 32:51 minutes.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
· Freshman Glenn Dion (Pembroke, N.H.) scored three goals with three assists
· Finn scored three goals
· Senior Matt Donnell (Watertown, Mass.) netted two goals with two assists
· Senior Brendan Barrett (East Sandwich, Mass.) potted a pair of goals with three ground balls
· Sophomore Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) won 16 of 22 face-off attempts and picked up 10 ground balls
· Junior Tyler Retalic (Framingham, Mass.) chipped in with two goals and an assist and picked up five ground balls
· Freshman Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) added a goal and three assists
LEADERS – REGIS (Mass.):
· Collin Spillane (Franklin, Mass.) tallied a goal, an assist, and six ground balls
· Logan Bateman (Claremont, N.H.) picked up five ground balls
· Danny Rancano (Miami, Fla.) and Michael Daras (Danvers, Mass.) netted a goal apiece
With the victory, Saint Joseph's improves to 1-1 in the history of the series with Regis (Mass.). The Pride tipped the Monks, 13-11, in the previous meeting between these two teams in a game played in Portland on March 12th, 2016.
Saint Joseph's hosts Albertus Magnus College, and Senior Day festivities, on Saturday at 3:00 PM.