PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Saint Joseph's College (5-7, 1-3 GNAC) snapped a three-game skid with a 12-7 Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) victory over Johnson & Wales University (3-9, 2-2 GNAC) in men's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph's held a 2-0 lead after the first quarter and rallied from a 4-3 deficit late in the second stanza with goals from Brendan Barrett (East Sandwich, Mass.) and Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) to secure a 5-4 edge heading into intermission.
With three goals in the third period – including a pair from freshman Glenn Dion (Pembroke, N.H.), the Monks held an 8-5 lead going into the fourth frame. Ben Farrell scored twice for the Wildcats to make it a 9-7 game with 8:42 remaining, but St. Joe's received goals from Matt Donnell (Watertown, Mass.), Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.), and Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) in the closing seven minutes to seal the victory.
SJC senior Connor Trainor (Franklin, Mass.) stopped nine shots with four ground balls in the victory while JWU's Bradley Morris registered 12 saves and picked up five ground balls in a losing effort.
The Monks held advantages in shots (45-34), face-offs (17-24) and ground balls (36-34) in the victory and went 4-7 in man-up situations on the afternoon.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Puleo tallied three goals, two assists, and four ground balls
- Dion netted two goals with a pair of assists
- Finn scored twice with five ground balls
- Fors posted a goal with five ground balls and went 17-24 on face-off bids
- Senior Liam Skinner (Irving, Texas) picked up five ground balls with a pair of caused turnovers
LEADERS – JOHNSON & WALES:
- Farrell scored four goals with four ground balls
- Sam Sears dealt a pair of assists with two ground balls and three caused turnovers
- Eric Russo hit pay-dirt and scooped up five ground balls
With the triumph, Saint Joseph's improves to 3-2 in the history of the series with Johnson & Wales University.
Saint Joseph's will host GNAC-rival Regis (Mass.) on Wednesday at 6:00 PM.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visitwww.sjcme.edu.