BANGOR, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (1-1) outlasted Husson University (0-1), 10-8, in a non-conference men's lacrosse contest on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks trailed 2-1 with 3:28 remaining in the first quarter, but rattled off six unanswered goals to claim a 7-2 lead with 8:58 left in the third period. Saint Joseph's held a 9-4 advantage heading into the fourth frame, but the Eagles netted four straight tallies to make it a one-goal game with 7:31 to play.
Freshman attack Tyler Brewster (Merrimack, N.H.) put the Monks back up by two when he scored his first collegiate goal with 5:15 remaining and the Royal Blue held the Eagles to just one shot in the closing five minutes to escape with the victory.
Saint Joseph's senior goalie Connor Trainor (Franklin, Mass.) made 13 saves to pick up his first win of the season and 14th of his collegiate career.
Husson junior netminder Matt Martin (Litchfield, Maine) posted 23 saves in a losing effort.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Junior attack Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) scored four goals on 12 shots
- Freshman attack Glenn Dion (Pembroke, N.H.) potted a pair of goals with two assists and a pair of ground balls
- Senior midfielder Brendan Barrett (East Sandwich, Mass.) broke the Monks' all-time assists record with his 68th career helper, which came on a Finn strike with 1:21 left in the third
- Freshman attack Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) picked up a game-high 12 ground balls with a goal and an assist
- Sophomore faceoff midi Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) was 9-21 on faceoff attempts with four ground balls
- Senior defender Liam Skinner (Irving, Texas) notched five caused turnovers with a pair of ground balls
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Senior attack Brandon Bosse (Limerick, Maine) scored four goals on six shots
- Senior attack Brooks Gay (Underhill, Vt.) dealt three assists and scooped up 11 ground balls
- Sophomore faceoff midi Owen Richmond (Mason Township, Maine) won 12 of 20 faceoff attempts with four ground balls
With the win, Saint Joseph's improves to 6-4 all-time versus Husson University and has now defeated the Eagles in six-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2012 campaign.
Saint Joseph's will play a pair of games in Orlando, Florida next week – on Tuesday they face Moravian in a 1:00 PM start and take on Wentworth Institute on Thursday at 1:00 PM.