PORTLAND, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (2-3) rallied past Becker College (0-7), 10-5, in a non-conference men's lacrosse contest at Deering Memorial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Becker held a 4-2 lead at the 8:59 mark of the second quarter after senior attack Blake Boutiette (Burrillville, R.I.) assisted on an Avyay Chaganty (Bridgewater, N.J.) goal and netted a goal himself 90 seconds later, but Saint Joseph's rattled off eight unanswered markers en route to the five-goal victory.
Saint Joseph's junior Connor Trainor (Franklin, Mass.) made eight saves and picked up four ground balls to pick up his second win of the season. Becker freshman Willard McMillen (Grapevine, Texas) posted 12 stops with a pair of ground balls in a losing effort.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Junior attack Joe O'Reilly (Suffern, N.Y.) enjoyed a career day with four goals, two assists, and three ground balls
- Junior midfielder Brendan Barrett (East Sandwich, Mass.) netted two goals with two assists and a ground ball
- Sophomore attack Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) added two goals and an assist with five ground balls
- Junior midfielder Dalton Paquette (Merrimack, N.H.) scored and added an assist
- Junior defender Liam Skinner (Irving, Texas) notched two assists, five ground balls, and two caused turnovers
- Sophomore midfielder Tyler Retalic (Framingham, Mass.) chipped in with a goal, five ground balls, and two caused turnovers
- Sophomore defender Raymond Emery (Abington, Mass.) tallied four ground balls and four caused turnovers
- Junior defender Tom Lisiecki (South Boston, Mass.) picked up two ground balls with three caused turnovers
LEADERS – BECKER:
- Boutiette scored a goal with two assists and three ground balls
- Junior midfielder Blake Gordon (East Greenbush, N.Y.) punched home a goal with six ground balls and won 13 of 16 face-off attempts
- Senior attack Daniel Johnson (Plymouth, Mass.) tallied a goal, two assists, and four ground balls
- Senior defender Bryan Parsons (Shrewsbury, Mass.) collected a game-high nine ground balls
With the victory, Saint Joseph's improves to 5-3 in the history of the series with Becker College and snaps a two-game losing streak at the hands of the Hawks. St. Joe's last defeated Becker, now a member of the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC), on April 10th, 2013 (16-8) when both programs played in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC).
Saint Joseph's returns to action Tuesday with a non-conference contest at University of Southern Maine (4:00 PM). Becker also plays Tuesday in a home game versus Lyndon State University (6:00 PM).
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.