PAXTON, Mass. – Senior Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) netted 31 points and sophomore Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) poured in 30 points to help lift Saint Joseph's College (15-4, 5-1 GNAC) past Anna Maria College (6-13, 2-4 GNAC), 99-90, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's basketball contest on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks held a game-high 15-point lead (41-26) after Casale capped a 12-2 run with a jump shot with 6:29 left in the first half but saw their advantage dwindle down to five points, as the AMCATS registered a 12-2 surge of their own to make it a 56-51 game heading into intermission.
In a seesaw second half Saint Joseph's managed to cling to single-digit edge for all but a pair of possessions and held a 93-90 advantage after Sidney Limage (Randolph, Mass.) made two free throws with 1:46 left in regulation. Fortunately, the Monks scored six unanswered points in the closing 90 seconds, as Casale converted a layup and senior Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) and Berry both went 2-for-2 from the FT line to seal the victory.
Saint Joseph's has not had two players score at least 30 points in the same game since Mike Stallings and Leroy Gore scored 33 and 30 points, respectively, in a loss to Grinnell College on January 2nd, 2004. The two 30-point pairings are believed to be the only of their kind in program history.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Monks shot 62.7% (37-59) from the field and held a 23-13 lead in points off turnovers…The AMCATS posted a respectable 49.3% (35-71) shooting performance and posted a 15-2 advantage in points in the paint.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Berry was 11-for-14 from the floor, 3-for-5 from three-point range, and 6-for-6 from the FT line with 31 points, three rebounds, three assists, and a pair of steals
- Casale notched his eighth double-double of the season with 30 points and 11 rebounds and was 12-for-16 from the field with four assists
- Mileikis added 13 points, three assists, two boards, and a pair of steals
LEADERS – ANNA MARIA:
- Junior forward Mike Rapoza (Charlton, Mass.) registered his 15th double-double of the year with 20 points and 15 rebounds and did not have an attempt from the FT line for just the second time in his career (first since 12/28/16 0-0 vs. Bowdoin)
- Bobby Perette (Marshfield, Mass.) scored 16 points with three rebounds
- Limage chipped in with 14 points and eight rebounds
- Kennedy Minix-Rogers (Smyrna, Ga.) contributed 13 points and six assists
Saint Joseph's is now 13-9 all-time versus Anna Maria College and has defeated the AMCATS in five-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2016-17 campaign.
Saint Joseph's will host conference-rival Suffolk University on Wednesday at 7:00 PM.