STANDISH, Maine – Regis College (5-6) snapped a four-game losing streak with a 103-64 victory over Rivier University (1-11) in the third game of the 2018 Catholic Classic at the Harold Alfond Center on Sunday afternoon.
The win marks the first time Regis has hit the century mark since February 20th, 2010 when the Pride edged Anna Maria College, 101-96.
Rivier has now lost 10 consecutive games.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Rivier held the lead early, as freshman guard Jake Santiago (Manchester, N.H.) jumper lifted the Raiders to a 27-23 advantage with 7:19 left in the first half, but the Pride closed out the opening period with a 28-7 run en route to leading 51-34 at the break. Six different players scored during the Regis run with senior guard Milik Wallace (Hinesville, Ga.) leading the way with nine points on a trio of threes.
The Pride scoring outburst continued into the second stanza, as senior forward Jordan Seldon (Dorchester, Mass.) connected on a jumper and junior guard Josh Germain (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) drilled a three-pointer to extend their team's lead to 22 points (56-34) just over a minute into the final frame. Regis proceeded to lead by at least 15 points for the remainder of the contest.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Pride held a 46-20 lead in points in the paint with a 25-11 second-chance points margin and a 50-27 advantage in bench points…Regis shot an even 50% (35-70) from the field while Rivier shot just 31.9% (23-72) in the losing bid.
LEADERS – REGIS:
- Sophomore forward Marc Trinidad (Bronx, N.Y.) led seven Regis players in double digits with 18 points while pulling down 11 rebounds in 22 minutes off the bench
- Senior forward Ademola Afonja (Staten Island, N.Y.) netted 17 points with eight rebounds
- Wallace scored 13 points and was 3-3 from three-point distance
- Germain added 11 points and nine rebounds
- Senior center Shawn Wedderburn (Bronx, N.Y.) chipped in with 10 points
- Junior guard Dimitri Rosa (Tiverton, R.I.) contributed 10 points, three steals, two assists, two boards, and a pair of blocked shots
- Sophomore forward Devante Thompson (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) rounded out the Pride septet with 10 points, five assists, and four rebounds
LEADERS – RIVIER:
- Junior forward Nate Hale (Nashua, N.H.) scored 14 points and was 5-9 from the floor in 21 minutes
- Junior guard Issaiah Chappell (Sunapee, N.H.) added 10 points and four rebounds
Regis opens the New Year with a home non-conference game versus Fitchburg State on Wednesday at 6:00 PM while Rivier kicks off Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play at Emmanuel College next Sunday at 1:00 PM.