BANGOR, Maine – Senior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) scored 27 points to help lift Saint Joseph's College (7-2) past Husson University (6-2), 78-74, in a non-conference men's basketball contest on Saturday afternoon. The win extends the Monks' winning streak to six games, the team's longest since the 2013-14 campaign.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Leading 42-32 heading into intermission, the Monks held a game-high 12-point (48-36) advantage after senior Marc Corey (Londonderry, N.H.) made shots on consecutive trips down the floor, but the Eagles managed to tie the contest at 57-apiece on the heels of an 11-3 run, which was capped by a DJ Bussey three-pointer with 6:54 remaining.
Ahead by just two points (68-66) with 3:38 left to play, St. Joe's posted an 8-3 surge over the following two minutes to claim a 76-69 cushion and essentially put the game out of reach, as Husson missed four of five field goal attempts in the closing 90 seconds.
Trailing early, the Monks notched an 11-3 run – capped by an Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) three-point play 3:32 into the game – to claim a 16-7 lead. The visitors maintained an advantage for the remainder of the first half.
CAPTURE THE CUP:
With the victory, Saint Joseph's claims the Alumni Cup, which is bestowed upon the winner of the rivalry matchup every season going forward. The cup series began last winter when Husson defeated Saint Joseph's by an 82-75 score in Standish on November 18th, 2017.
STATS OF THE GAME:
The Monks held a 36-26 points-in-the-paint advantage and outshot the Eagles by nearly 10 percentage points (47.0%, 31-66 to 37.3%, 31-83) from the field.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Berry was 10-21 from the floor with a 5-9 effort from three-point land and pulled down nine rebounds with three assists
- Senior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) was 7-12 from the field and tallied 18 points, seven rebounds, and three assists
- Sophomore Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) registered his fourth double-double of the season with 16 points and 13 boards
- Corey chipped in with six points, five caroms and two assists
LEADERS – HUSSON:
- Justin Martin posted a double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds and rejected three shots
- Bussey totaled 17 points off a 4-9 three-point shooting performance
- Cole Thomas tallied eight points, five rebounds, and five assists
With the win, Saint Joseph's improves to 37-49 in the history of the series with Husson University and snaps a six-game skid at the hands of the Eagles. Today's win is the Monks' first over the Eagles since November 30th 2011, when St. Joe's tipped Husson by a 70-58 score in Standish.
Today's triumph is the Monks' first in Bangor since December 9th, 2008 when Saint Joseph's bested the Eagles by a 90-65 margin.
Saint Joseph's will host UMaine-Farmington on Thursday at 7:30 PM.