STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (6-2) cruised past Maine Maritime Academy (5-3), 104-78, in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Harold Alfond Center on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks made 58.7% (44-75) of their shots from the floor with a 53.6% (15-28) clip from three-point distance en route to posting a triple-digit point total for the second time in the last three games.
St. Joe's, which opened the contest on an 11-2 run and closed out the first half on a 13-4 scoring surge, carried a 54-33 advantage into intermission and went on to notch a game-high 33-point (99-66) lead after sophomore guard Tatsuaki Sakai (Ishikawa, Japan) hit a three-pointer with 6:05 remaining.
STATS OF THE GAME:
Saint Joseph's held a 54-32 lead in points in the paint and scored 23 points off 13 Maine Maritime turnovers.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Sophomore guard Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) was 11-13 from the field and 6-6 from three-point distance with 28 points, six rebounds, four assists, and a pair of steals
- Senior guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) was also 11-13 from the floor and scored 22 points with five boards and two steals
- Senior guard Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) tallied 19 points, eight caroms, and three assists
- Sakai netted 10 points with four assists and two steals
- Senior forward Marc Corey (Londonderry, N.H.) chipped in with five points, six boards, five assists, and three steals
- Freshman David Keohan (West Newfield, Maine) came off the bench to score nine points off a 3-4 three-point shooting effort
LEADERS – MAINE MARITIME:
- Senior center Adam Richardson (Bradley, Maine) registered 21 points, five rebounds, and seven assists
- Freshman guard DeMerrill Levy (Houston, Texas) netted 19 points with six assists
- Junior forward Nicholas DePatsy (Waldoboro, Maine) added 15 points and five rebounds
BEYOND THE BOX:
The Monks' 53.6% effort from downtown marks the third-consecutive game in which SJC has connected on at least half of their three-point bids; it is also the team's highest percentage from deep since posting a 57.1% (8-14) rate in a win over Emmanuel College on February 3rd, 2018…Saint Joseph's has scored 100 or more points in 199 different games in the history of the program…With 104 points tonight and 103 in a win over UNE last week, the Monks have notched a pair of 100-point games in the same season for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign when SJC put up 112 versus Daniel Webster and 103 against Mount Ida…Saint Joseph's, 1-2 from the FT line tonight, set a program single-game record for fewest free throws attempted; the former mark, three, was set versus Albertus Magnus (1/30/16) and Suffolk (12/3/16).
With the victory, Saint Joseph's remains undefeated versus Maine Maritime Academy with a perfect 24-0 record against the Mariners.
The Monks play at Husson on Saturday at 1:00 PM while the Mariners travel to University of New England on Sunday at 3:00 PM.