BRISTOL, R.I. – Saint Joseph's College (2-2) toppled Anna Maria College (1-3), 88-70, in the consolation game of the Courtyard by Marriott Tournament at Roger Williams University on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks trailed 52-48 heading into halftime and trailed by as many as seven points in the first frame, but with the contest tied 64-64 midway through the second stanza Saint Joseph's mounted a 22-1 run – capped by a Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) three-pointer – to secure a game-high 21-point (86-65) lead with 4:02 remaining.
The SJC defense held the AMCATS – who shot 60% (18-30) from the field in the first period - to a 7-26 (26.9%) shooting performance and forced 16 Anna Maria turnovers in the second half.
STATS OF THE GAME:
With 17 trifectas this afternoon, the Monks came within one three-point field goal of tying the program's single game record…St. Joe's scored 19 points off 23 Anna Maria turnovers with sizeable leads in fast-break points (22-6) and assists (24-12)…today's game featured 10 tie scores and 13 lead changes.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Casale scored 21 points with eight rebounds, five assists, three steals, and a pair of blocked shots
- Senior Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.) netted 21 points off a 6-13 three-point shooting performance with four boards and three assists
- Senior Marc Corey (Londonderry, N.H.) added 17 points in 16 minutes while going 6-6 from the field, including a 4-4 effort from downtown
- Senior Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) chipped in with 12 points, six caroms, five assists, and two steals
- Senior Jack Hostetler (Somers, Conn.) came off the bench to score eight points with four rebounds, five assists, and a pair of steals
LEADERS – ANNA MARIA:
- Mike Rapoza notched a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds and rejected four shots
- Sidney Limage added 13 points and five rebounds
- Bobby Perette contributed 12 points
- Ralph Grasso, Jr. rounded out the AMCATS' top scorers with 11 points
Saint Joseph's is now 12-9 all-time versus Anna Maria College and has defeated the AMCATS in four-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2016-17 campaign.
Saint Joseph's will host UMaine-Farmington on Tuesday at 7:30 PM.