STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (5-0) toppled Husson University (0-3), 7-0, in a non-conference field hockey contest at the SJC Athletics Complex on Wednesday evening.
The Monks opened the game scoring in the ninth minute when senior Arianna Kahler (Lisbon Falls, Maine) netted her first of two goals on the evening and Saint Joseph's was lethal on penalty corner attempts with five goals following infractions in the one-sided victory.
SJC senior goalie Megan Baker (Gorham, Maine) stopped the only shot she faced in the triumph while her counterpart, Husson sophomore Andrea Shaggy (Harwinton, Conn.), registered 12 saves in the losing effort.
Saint Joseph's held considerable leads in shots (30-1), shots on goal (22-1), and penalty corners (21-2) in the non-conference win.
- Senior Kayla Veilleux (Sabattus, Maine) scored two goals with an assist
- Kahler netted a pair with one helper
- Meghan Hill (Brookline, N.H.) and Kara Kelly (York, Maine) notched a goal apiece
- Freshman Emma Rutledge (Alfred, Maine) tallied a goal and an assist
- Alexandra Belaire (Greene, Maine), Kayla Kelly (York, Maine), and Samantha Silva (Laconia, N.H.) recorded an assist in the triumph
- Husson seniors Allison Leighton (Oakland, Maine) and Arika Brochu (Augusta, Maine) were credited with a defensive save apiece in the loss
With the win, Saint Joseph's improves to 16-20 in the history of the series with Husson University and halts a three-game losing streak at the hands of the Eagles. The Monks' goal output in tonight's win is the most recorded by either team in the history of the matchup. Prior to this game, neither team had scored more than three times in the 14 previous contests between the former conference rivals.
Saint Joseph's plays at Regis (Mass.) in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) contest on Saturday at 12:00 PM. Husson plays at Springfield College on Saturday at 11:00 AM.