STANDISH, Maine – #2 Saint Joseph's College (28-12) remained alive in the 2018 GNAC Baseball Tournament with a 9-5 victory over #4 Lasell College (10-21) in an elimination game at Larry Mahaney Diamond on Saturday morning.
With the victory, Saint Joseph's survives and advances to play either #1 Suffolk or #3 Johnson & Wales in another elimination game tonight at 5:00 PM. For Lasell, the loss signals the end of the 2018 campaign.
The Monks faced a 4-0 deficit going into the bottom of the fourth, but their bats finally came to life to knot the game with four runs off five hits, including a two-run single from Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) and an RBI base hit off the bat of Jacob White (Salem, N.H.). St. Joe's grabbed the lead for good in the sixth, when Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.) walked and scored on a Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) sac fly and Gagne doubled and sprinted home on an infield miscue.
For good measure, the Monks tacked on three runs off two hits and a Lasell error in the bottom of the eighth.
- The Lasers claimed the first lead of the day in the top of the second, when Dom Mascolo (Waterbury, Conn.) was hit by a pitch and Luke Scholand (Albuquerque, N.M.) walked and both runners scored on an Evan Michalek (Berlin, Conn.) triple down the right field line
- Lasell doubled the advantage in the top of the fourth, when junior David Marsell (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) plated a pair with a two-run single to right field
ON THE MOUND:
- SJC freshman starter Zach Begin (Georgetown, Mass.) allowed four runs off six hits and three hit batsmen with four K's in four innings
- Junior reliever Grayson Jennings (Mililani, Hawaii) picked up the win and improved to 3-1 after fanning five batters and allowing two hits and no walks in three frames
- Senior closer Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) earned his fifth save of the year after tossing 1.1 innings with one strikeout
- Lasell freshman starter Sean Doris (Lincoln, R.I.) yielded four runs (three earned) off six hits and three walks with three K's in 3.2 innings
- Junior Justin Webb (San Diego, Calif.) takes the loss after allowing two runs (one earned) off one hit and a walk over two innings
- Patrick Colvin (Lenoxdale, Mass.), Mike Tacinelli (Seymour, Conn.), and Zak Phillips (West Boylston, Mass.) combined to allow three unearned runs off two hits over 2.1 frames of relief
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Gagne was 2-4 with two runs, a double, and two RBI
- White went 2-4 with a run and a pair of RBI
- Sophomore Ben Gravel (Rochester, N.H.) added two hits and scored a run in four at-bats
- Speliotis went 2-4 with a run
- Junior Noah McDaniel (Eliot, Maine) went 1-3 with a double, a steal, and two RBI
OFF THE BAT – LASELL:
- Junior Chris Maringo (Farmingville, N.Y.) was 3-5 with three singles
- Michalek went 2-5 with a two-run triple