STANDISH, Maine - Saint Joseph's College (18-7, 4-0 GNAC) swept a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) baseball doubleheader with Anna Maria College (10-18, 1-5 GNAC) at Larry Mahaney Diamond on Friday evening. The Monks opened with a 12-7 victory and posted a walk-off 5-4 victory in the nightcap to complete the sweep and remain undefeated in conference play.
GAME ONE – Saint Joseph's 12, Anna Maria 7:
The AMCATS jumped out to a 4-0 lead with two runs in the first inning and a two-run single off the bat of senior Tanner Jakola (Leominster, Mass.) in the second.
The Monks proceeded to score seven unanswered runs, including five in the third when Anthony DiPrizio (Rochester, N.H.) posted an RBI single, Greg Emanuelson (Hudson, N.H.) knocked in two with a base hit, and two runs scored on passed balls.
Anna Maria managed to tie the game with three runs, including two on one swing, off two hits and three SJC errors in the top of the fifth. Sophomore Mike Tourony (Douglass, Mass.) led off and reached on an infield miscue and promptly scored when the next batter, freshman Noah Holland (Sandwich, Mass.) lifted a home run to left-center. Freshman Nick Genatossio (Sutton, Mass.) singled and later scored the tying run on another Monk error.
Saint Joseph's went on to score four runs – all with two out - with just one hit and left the bases loaded in the bottom of the fifth, when junior Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) worked a bases-loaded walk and junior Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) cleared the bases with a sharp single to left-center.
The Monks capped the scoring in the sixth, when Gagne plated freshman Hunter Richardson (North Monmouth, Maine) with a single to left field.
ON THE MOUND:
- Eight different pitchers toed the slab for the Monks with senior Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) picking up the win after tossing 1.2 no-hit innings with three strikeouts
- Sophomore Matt Demma (Worcester, Mass.) fanned four in 2.2 hitless innings
- Freshman Jonathon Rolfe (Plainville, Mass.) tossed a 1-2-3 seventh inning and struck out one
- Anna Maria freshman Jack Marzec (Northbridge, Mass.) pitched well in the early going and allowed six runs (two earned) off five hits and five walks with four K's in 2.1 innings
- Freshman Liam Cunningham (Northbridge, Mass.) took the loss after giving up five runs (four earned) off one hit and four walks with four punch-outs in 2.2 innings
OFF THE BAT:
- Emanuelson was 2-3 with a double and three RBI
- Murphy went 2-5 with a run, a stolen base, and three RBI
- Gagne was 1-2 with two runs, a stolen base, two RBI, and three walks
- Sophomore third baseman Will Martin (Arlington, Mass.) worked three walks and scored twice
- For Anna Maria, Holland was 2-4 with a home run and three RBI and sophomore catcher Greg Gehring (Southold, N.Y.) went 2-4 with a run scored
GAME TWO – Saint Joseph's 5, Anna Maria 4 (8 inn.):
The Monks held a 4-2 lead through six innings but fell victim to a comeback by the AMCATS, who scored two runs off four hits to tie the game in the top of the seventh. St. Joe's went down in order in the bottom of the seventh and Anna Maria stranded a runner in the top of the eighth to set the stage for a strange ending.
Leading off the bottom of the eighth, junior first baseman Noah McDaniel (Eliot, Maine) was hit by a pitch and replaced at first base by freshman pinch runner Kevin Aylward (East Bridgewater, Mass.), who quickly stole second and moved to third on a passed ball. The AMCATS then intentionally walked Richardson and Martin to create a force play at every base, but freshman pitcher Andrew Rodriques (East Providence, R.I.) hit senior Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.) with a 2-2 fastball for the game-winning run.
ON THE MOUND:
- Junior Grayson Jennings (Mililani, Hawaii) tossed five solid innings, allowing a run off three hits with five strikeouts
- Partridge gave up three runs on six hits with four K's in two innings
- Freshman Jonathan Marchia (Chicopee, Mass.) improved to 2-0 on the season after tossing a scoreless inning with one punch-out
- Anna Maria junior starter Colin Pipkin (Peoria, Ariz.) gave up four runs (three earned) off five hits and five walks with eight strikeouts in five innings
- Junior Daniel Chambers (Westfield, Mass.) allowed an unearned run with three walks in two hitless innings and suffered the loss
OFF THE BAT:
- Senior Jacob White (Salem, N.H.) was 1-3 with a double and an RBI
- Murphy and freshman Patrick Rauseo (Hudson, N.H.) both stole a pair of bases
- Gerossie was 1-1 with a run, a stolen base, and an RBI and was hit by a pitch three times
- For Anna Maria, Holland was 3-4 with a run and an RBI, Genatossio went 2-4 with a double and two RBI, and freshman Jason Shell (Sandwich, Mass.) was 2-4 with a run and a pair of two-baggers
With the sweep, Saint Joseph's improves to 14-2 in the history of the series with Anna Maria College and has now defeated the AMCATS in 10-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2014 season.
Saint Joseph's will host GNAC-rival Albertus Magnus College on Sunday in a doubleheader scheduled to begin at 1:00 PM.