STANDISH, ME - The Maine Men's Basketball Coaches and Writers Association weekly report has been released and Monks' senior guard Alberto Rue (Jamaica Plain, MA/Loomis-Chaffee) has been listed on the Weekly Honor Roll.
Each week the head coaches of Maine's NCAA DIII and NAIA programs vote for the top teams in the state, and Saint Joseph's (16-5, 11-3 GNAC) is ranked third, with 27 points and a first-place vote, for the third consecutive week. Colby retains the top spot with 48 points and nine first-place votes and Bates (28 pts) is ranked second. Bowdoin (25) and Thomas (20) round out the top five, while Maine-Farmington and UNE also received votes.
In a 3-0 week for the Monks, Rue averaged 16 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.0 steals and 2.0 assists per game. The senior guard was 4-6 from beyond the arc with 21 points against Norwich on February 6th. Through 17 games this season, Rue has tallied 9.1 points and 2.7 rebounds per game with a 45.1% (51-113) effort from the floor and a 70.4% (38-54) performance from the charity stripe. The co-captain is also shooting 35% (14-40) from beyond the arc this year.
Several Monk standouts rank highly in the individual statistic rankings:
- Ray Eatmon '10 (Huntington, NY) and Rashon Jones '11 (Bridgeport, CT) are tied for the state-lead in blocked shots with 1.6 per contest. Eatmon also ranks 3rd in assists (3.7 APG), 4th in field goal percentage (57.7%, 86-149) and 6th in rebounding (8.3 RPG). Jones is 6th in FG% (55.2%, 64-116), 10th in FT% (72.5%, 37-51), 11th in rebounding (6.6 RPG) and 13th in assists (2.5 APG).
- Zach O'Brien '12 (Schenectady, NY) has tallied 4.2 assists per game, which is the second-highest total in Maine, and ranks 5th in scoring (15.2 PPG) and 7th in FT% (75.3%, 61-81).
- Chris Petzy '12 (Kensington, NH) is 4th in 3PT% (40.8%, 31-76), 5th in FT% (76.8%, 43-56) and 12th in scoring (13.4 PPG).
- Tyler Kelley '11 (Saco, ME) is right behind Petzy in three-point efficiency (40.6%, 39-96) and is 11th in scoring (13.8 PPG).
- Julio Vazquez '13 (Waterbury, CT) is 16th in the state in assists with 2.2 per game.
Saint Joseph's will host GNAC-rival Johnson & Wales University (10-11, 7-7 GNAC) tonight at 7:30 PM.